15 May Whole Wheat Bread
Stepwise pictorial recipe of 100% whole wheat/atta bread.
A very simple method, few easy steps, a short span of time and finally you can have a loaf of beautiful bread made with 100% Atta with no touch of Maida. Bread is a kind of food used in almost every home. And when you can make out this golden beauty yourself at your home, you are going to feel heavenly.
So without taking much time, let’s begin the task….
Whole wheat flour/Atta 2.5 cup
Instant or Active Yeast* 1/2 tbsp (I used active yeast)
(Do see my post “How To Activate Dry Yeast” because yeast has an important & primary role in baking a bread)
Sugar 1 tbsp
Salt 1/2 tsp
Oil 2 tbsp
Water** as per need
Milk (Vegan or Dairy) as per need
1. Take a big bowl and sieve whole wheat flour & salt together in it.
2. Add yeast, sugar & oil in it and mix together well.
3. Now knead the mixture with water for about 10 – 12 minutes, till dough has become soft and smooth.
4. Once the dough is kneaded properly, transfer it to a big bowl*** by applying little oil on all over the dough.
5. Cover the dough with a muslin cloth and place the bowl in a warm area in the kitchen.
6. Let the bowl remain there for 1 to 2 hour or until the dough gets doubled.
7. Once the dough is doubled, knead once again for about 2 – 3 minutes and make it into a smooth dough.
8. Take a loaf pan,****, grease it with oil.
9. Give a cylindrical shape to the dough & place it in the pan.
10. Brush some oil on top of the dough and again cover it with the muslin cloth.
11. Again keep this aside for an hour. Its going to rise again.
12. Once it is risen, brush the top of the dough with milk.
13. Place the pan in preheated oven at 190°C for 25 to 30 minutes.
14. When the dough turns light golden brown, remove it from the oven and keep aside for cooling. Your bread is ready.
Cut it into slices and serve. Preserve***** the rest.
*Although i have given a detailed post on activation of yeast but i am summerising it for the convenience of my readers.
If using Instant yeast, no need to activate it.
If using Active yeast, take 1/4 cup of lukewarm water and add sugar & yeast in it. Let it rest for 10 minutes & if you see frothing & bubbles on the top, yeast is activated.
**During summers, water at room temperature will do but during winters, prefer to knead the dough with warm water.
***Big bowl is recommended because with the time, dough is going to rise & get doubled in size.
****If you don’t have a loaf pan, don’t loose your desire of making a bread at home. Use some other baking pan & place the dough in it after giving it a cylindrical shape. Though you will not get the EXACT rectangular/square shape of the bread, but little ups & downs are acceptable in lieu of lovely & beautiful homemade bread.
*****Preserve the bread in an airtight container or bag. It remains good for 3 to 4 days.
PAYAL BALI SHARMA