28 Feb rajma masala, jammu rajma recipe, jammu food
Stepwise pictorial recipe of Rajma masala, jammu rajma recipe, jammu food.
In jammu, whatever you cook and eat throughout the week, but sunday’s lunch is only reserved for Rajma – Chawal. (kidney beans with rice).
I don’t know whether its a culture or some tradition, but right from my childhood to present date, I am witnessing this precedent being followed by my grand-mother to mother to other relative families. At times i feel that it has become a law to prepare Rajma on sundays and if anyone will not make it, she shall be penalized. 😉
As far as method is concerned, I have seen my maternal grand-mother and my mother cooking Rajma Masala this way and me too is following the same procedure.
Not only rajma, but jammu and kashmir is known for many lip smacking recipes and one of them is kaladi. Being appreciated by former Prime of India and chef Sanjeev Kapoor, this kaladi is made in different ways like kaladi Kulcha, Pyaz Wali Kaladi and Doodh Wali kaladi. Also the most magnificent food of kashmir is Nadru Yakhni, the recipe of same will also be found in this blog. I hope, you will love to visit these authentic cuisines from the land of jammu and kashmir.
Now coming back to rajma, today i am giving a special space in this blog to Rajma on this fine Sunday…Lets enjoy
INGREDIENTS for rajma masala
Rajma (Red kidney beans) – 1 cup
Salt – ¼ tsp
Ginger (grated) – 1 tbsp
Garlic (grated) – 1 tbsp
Water – 6 to 8 cups
Onion (grinded) – ¾ cup
Tomato (grinded) – ¾ cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Cumin powder – 1/2 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Rajma masala – 1 tsp
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
Mace a pinch
Moti elaichi – ½
Cloves pieces – 2
Bay leaf – 1
Salt as per taste
Tamarind pulp – ¼ cup
Roasted cumin seeds
TOTAL TIME NEEDED
Soaking time 8 to 9 hours or over night.
Preparation time 1 hour.
- Wash the Rajma (red kidney beans) and soak in water for 8 to 9 hrs or over night. As its been made on every sunday, so i usually soak them on saturday night only.
- Now take the pressure cooker, add Rajma with grated ginger, grated garlic, ¼ tsp salt and water. Note put on a flame upto 7-8 whistles.
- In the mean time, prepare the gravy for Rajma and firstly begin with grinding onions and tomatoes separately to make a gravy out of them. Keep aside.
- In a pan heat the oil. Then add cinnamon stick, bay leaf, mace, moti elaichi and cloves and saute for 15 seconds.
- Add cumin seeds and when they will start crackling in oil, add the onion puree and cook till puree becomes light brown in color.
- Now add the spices like coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala, cumin powder, cumin seeds, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- Now add tomato puree and cook till the oil is seen separated and floating over the gravy.
- Till the time Rajma’s are boiled. Now add the boiled rajma to the gravy and smash (few of them) with the help of masher or spoon. Do overdo, otherwise there will remain no piece of rajma left and everything will become a pulp.
- Cook for a couple of minutes till all the ingredients blend well with each other.
- Now add tamarind pulp and again cook for couple of minutes.
- Its ready now. Garnish with coriander and Roasted cumin seeds.
Enjoy your Sunday’s Lunch with these exclusive Rajma Masala, either with rice or roti. Preferably it goes well with Rice.
* In case you have forgotten to soak the Rajma at night or you don’t have enough time to soak then just add ¼ tsp baking soda with salt while boiling the Rajma.
* If you have soaked the Rajma over night, then 6 cups of water is enough but if it’s not, then add 8 cups of water.
*. If you are short of tomatoes, or if you don’t want to make rajma with tomatoes for whatever reason, then you can use curd in place of tomatoes. You only have to do is to whip the curd first and only add it at a stage, where i have added tomatoes puree.
*. Tamarind pulp adds to the taste of rajma, but if you are using extremely sour tomatoes or curd or you dont like sour rajma, then skip adding tamarind pulp. Choice is purely yours.
PAYAL BALI SHARMA
Please Subscribe to have an access to our new and upcoming recipes.