25 May paanagam, panakam, ram navami recipes
paanagam, panakam, ram navmi recipes with stepwise method is given here.
Since the beginning of summers, we have kept our eyes, ear & mind open towards the drinks which are not just cool by texture but actually work as a coolant to give cooling effects to the body in the hot sweltering Summers. And we came to know about this such a drink named as Paanagam through a leading newspaper – The Hindu.
And our earlier post “GOND KATIRA : A cooling herb in Summers” was the outcome of such discovery.
Paanagam or Panakam is a sweet healthy jaggery based drink traditionally made on Sri Rama Navami occasion. It’s roots are from the south, Tamil Nadu in particular.
Before going ahead, we would like to reproduce the health benefits of Paanagam mentioned in the newspaper.
PANAKAM HEALTH BENEFITS
1. It provides an instantaneous rejuvenating feel.
2. It counteracts the loss of appetite.
3. It is a physiological equivalent of Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS) and regulates the fluid and salt equivalents lost in sweating.
4. Jaggery in pannagam has raw carbohydrates which facilitates the electrolyte into the cells.
5. Jaggery also contains iron, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium.
6. Sonth/Dry ginger has astringent and anti-oxidant properties.
7. Other ingredients aid in digestion and cleansing of gastrointestinal tracks. They addresses problems like urological disorders, heart diseases, body pains, cold and cough, asthma, peptic and gastric ulcers and much more.
In nutshell, pannagam is a wholesome drink.
So let’s go for this very easy to make coolant…
Jaggery (crushed) – 1/2 cup
Cardamoms (crushed or powdered) – 2
ginger powder / Sonth – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – from one lemon
Water – 2 cups
Black Salt – 1 tsp
Black pepper – 1/8 tsp
Lemon infused ice cubes (optional)
1. Add jaggery in water and leave it untill the jaggery is dissolved.
2. Strain the jaggery water to remove unwanted particles.
3. Add rest of the ingredients and mix well.
4. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed.
5. Place in refrigerator and serve chilled with lemon infused ice cube.
*If you don’t have ginger powder/Sonth, go for fresh ginger juice of same quantity.
*As we had ample of time between preparing and serving Paanagam, so we took water at room temperature to soak jaggery because jaggery takes much time in dissolving in cold water. But if you are short of time, take cold water to soak jaggery.
Alternatively you can soak jaggery in less amount of water on room temperature and then add cold water later when the jaggery is dissolved.
Choice is yours. Only requirement is that Paanagam should be chilled while serving.
PAYAL BALI SHARMA
Please Subscribe to have an access to our new and upcoming recipes.