09 Sep nadru yakhni, lotus stem recipe kashmir, kashmiri nadru yakhni recipe
nadru yakhni, lotus stem recipe kashmir, kashmiri nadru yakhni recipe with step wise pictorial and video recipe.
Yakhni means broth or shorba.
Nadru Yakhni is a popular yogurt based Kashmiri curry made with lotus stems and some aromatic spices.
We have seen the people making it in different ways using gram flour/besan, onion, green chillies, red chilli powder, turmeric etc.But that is not the traditional method of making it. We only like the original version because this is much tastier and easy as well.
Not only Nadru Yakhni, but jammu and kashmir is known for many lip smacking recipes and one of them is kaladi. Being appreciated by former Prime of India and chef Sanjeev Kapoor, this kaladi is made in different ways like kaladi Kulcha, Pyaz Wali Kaladi and Doodh Wali kaladi. Also the most magnificent food of Jammu and kashmir is Rajma masala, the recipe of same will also be found in this blog. I hope, you will love to visit these authentic cuisines from the land of jammu and kashmir.
Coming back to Nadru Yakhni, let’s cook it in a traditional way now…
VIDEO RECIPE OF NADRU YAKHNI
TEXT RECIPE OF NADRU YAKHNI
Nadru (Lotus Root) – 500 gms
Curd – 2 cups
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Fennel Powder (saunf) – 1 tbsp
Cinnamon stick -1 inch
Green Cardamom (crushed) – 4
Cloves – 2
Black Cardamom – 1
Oil -2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Water – 3-4 cup
1. Wash Nadru properly especially through the holes.
2. Cut into halves or three depending upon the length of each Nadru.
(You can either first wash & then cut or first cut and then wash Nadrus.)
3. Put them into pressure cooker with water & a pinch of salt.
4. Boil them up to 3 – 4 whistles for about 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Check the doneness. If Nadru have attained the requisite tenderness, then drain the excess water and bring out the boiled Nadru. Otherwise let them boil for few more minutes.
6. Now remove their skin and cut them into reasonably desired round slices. Keep aside.
7. Take a kadai, add oil in it and place it on the gas stove for heating.
8. In the meantime, add fennel powder into curd & mix it properly without any lumps. Keep aside.
9. Add Cumin seeds, Cinnamon stick, Green Cardamoms, Cloves and Black Cardamom in oil and stir for a couple of seconds.
10. Add curd mixture and stir continuously untill it begins to boil.
(Continues stirring is important otherwise curd may curdle & all your efforts will go in vein).
11. Once the curd begins to boil, add Nadru, salt & garam masala. Mix properly and let it simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
Keep the dish covered for a few minutes.
Nadur Yakhni is ready to be served with rice. However you can have it with chapati too.
In case you are short of required amount of curd, you can mix some quantity of water too. But it doesn’t mean that water should be in excess of curd. Supposingly you need 2 cups of curd but have only 1.5 cups, then add 1/2 of water in place of deficient curd.
Feel Free To Ask Queries, If Any…
PAYAL BALI SHARMA
Please Subscribe to get easy access to our new and upcoming recipes.